Monday, May 07, 2012

Early Purple Orchid- Orchis mascula

I saw the last flower up on the other side of the hill about a week ago and wondered what sort of orchid it was. There were only two of these in the wood though it turns out to grow commonly throughout Europe. I asked our friendly plant expert Jean what it might be, and she thinks it's an Early Purple Orchid. It was quite dark where this was taken so the flower may have been a bit lighter in colour than it appears in the photo. Nice to see it anyway. Above that are the bluebells and the last few remaining daffodils, it being that time of year again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John ,very beautifull flowers ,they'r signal of spring ,i like the second photo ,the town seems so quiet next to the sea but i guess these cliff is slightly dangerous ,and thuse houses are close to each other beautifully ....

Your last three photos are so clear and colorfull ,the purple orchid ,the yellow one ,the green grass ,all of these show how much is the beauty that you can find there in your town ,very comfortable.......

What is about the birds and swallows ???i think they're busy to build their nests to get their new babies ....

I enjoyed your photos John very much this time becouse i miss the spring every year ....thanks ...Reem ...

john said...

Cheers and thanks Reem. I was walking along the road with my mother on tuesday when I suddenly heard the screeching of Swifts over my head and I shouted "Swifts!" rather excitedly and pointed them out to my mother, these being the first Swift I have heard this year and for me the sound of summer coming. (do I sound a bit easily pleased? each to their own eh?)

It seems to be raining all the time here at the moment, we have had weeks of it now, so all the plants are growing very fast and there is much puddleage everywhere. Plants that are like missing friends are reappearing again.

I am glad that you are enjoying the photos Reem. All the best to you.